The change of major process is for current Northeastern Undergraduate Day school students only. Students are evaluated on their Northeastern Undergraduate Day academic record only. A student’s academic record or credits earned prior to matriculation in the Northeastern Undergraduate Day school will not be considered.
Current College of Engineering upper-class students who want to change their major within engineering should contact the academic advisor for their new major of interest. First-year engineering students should contact their first-year academic advisor.
The deadline for Spring 2018 is November 3, 2017.
Schedule an appointment by contacting the Undergraduate Engineering Academic Advising office. Please stop by 220 SN or call (617) 373-2154. Contact: Eve Young, Academic Advisor
Direct admission criteria:
- Minimum cumulative Northeastern Undergraduate Day Grade Point Average of 3.0
- Grade of B- or higher in one required math course as indicated in the current engineering curriculum
- Grade of B- or higher in one required science course as indicated in the current engineering curriculum
- No grade below C (2.0) in any math, science or engineering coursework as indicated in the current engineering curriculum
- No more than one deficiency (grade of F, I, W, U) in any previous math or science coursework as indicated in the current curriculum
- Grades from repeated math/science/engineering coursework will not be considered in determining eligibility for direct admission
Students who do not currently meet direct admission standards are required to complete a transitional term, remaining in their home college. To be eligible for a transitional term, students must be in good academic standing with a cumulative Northeastern Undergraduate Day Grade Point Average of 2.0 or higher. Only one transitional term will be allowed for entry into the College of Engineering.
During the transitional term students must:
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours (full-time student status)
- Take the next appropriate math, science, and General Engineering courses.
Coursework taken during this semester may include the following courses (one course from each row):*
- Earn a term GPA of 3.0 or higher during the semester in which these courses are taken with no math, science or general engineering grade below a B-
- Only one term can be taken on a transitional basis. Students who do not achieve entry to the College after a transitional term must work with their home college to find another major.
* Transitional term students must review their planned schedule with the change of major advisor in the college of Engineering. Students who have completed all current engineering math or science coursework should contact Eve Young (email@example.com) to determine appropriate coursework.