Engineering and Business - a Timely Opportunity
Are you a Northeastern University engineering student or program graduate? Are you interested in business and professional development? This program may be for you! Read on for an overview and check out the videos on the right to get to know some of the Engineering Business Fellows and their experiences. The application link is found in the blue box to the right.
A novel opportunity has been launched for Northeastern engineering students who are interested in combining the technical aspects of engineering with a business-based skill set. There are 2 paths for potential Engineering Business candidates:
- BS/MS: Northeastern Engineering students in a BS/MS program at Northeastern University (NU) whose Masters at NU will be in Engineering Management (EM), Construction Management (CM), Operations Research (OR), Industrial Engineering (IE), or Data Analytics Engineering (DAE).
- BS + MS: Northeastern Engineering students who have or will finish with a BS and will begin a Masters in EM, CM, OR, IE, or DAE at NU
Note: Applicants must have a BS in Engineering from Northeastern University.
Galante Engineering Business Program Features and Benefits
Complementary Dual Degrees. Northeastern’s Galante Engineering Business Program offers a progressive, multi-degree opportunity for engineering students to complement their technical engineering education with business skills and enriching networking and growth opportunities. Students who become Galante Engineering Business Fellows will earn a Bachelors and Masters degree as well as an Engineering Business Certificate.
Professional Development. Program members will also benefit from regular access to and participation in specially designed Programmatic Elements such as workshops, speaker series, site visits, seminars, outings and other related personal and professional development activities as a connected cohort. Each participant creates an individualized personal development plan to combine available Programmatic Enrichment activities into a unique co-curricular program to complement coursework. Because of the co-curricular Programmatic Elements, this program is intended for full-time on-campus students or those who will be in the Boston area for the majority of coursework.
Prospective MBA Advantage. An added advantage provides the potential for an optional three-degree program in which Galante Engineering Business Fellows can leverage courses across BS, MS, and MBA curricula to achieve a unique set of technical, engineering management, and business skills while earning a certificate and potentially three degrees (BS/MS/MBA) from Northeastern University. That is, core courses from the Engineering Business Program can be applied toward an MBA for Galante Engineering Business Fellows, who choose to pursue a Master’s degree in Business Administration at NU.
You may review the application through the link in the blue box to the upper right on this page.
How to earn the Galante Engineering Business Certificate
To earn a Galante Engineering Business Certificate, the following elements must be addressed:
- Eligibility: Meet the BS/MS or the BS + MS academic requirements as described in the introduction above, which eventually will include completing the associated Master’s degree program in good standing once accepted into the Program.
- Application: Make formal application to the Galante Engineering Business Program through the link seen on the right-hand side of this page.
- Participation: Benefit from working alongside a like-minded cohort and involvement in the Programmatic Elements described above.
- Academics: Along with the core Master’s degree program courses, take four specified business-skill courses as listed below. All four Engineering Business courses are approved electives in the MS programs named above. These eight courses together comprise a standard Masters’ degree load. Potential candidates would work with their academic advisors to ensure that the course requirements will fit into their academic plan.
*Update to Certificate Requirements: Students should take GE 5010 Customer-Driven Technical Innovation for Engineers instead of GE 5000 Special Topics in Engineering.
Option to Transition to a Northeastern MBA
With a Galante Engineering Business Certificate, students are then poised to apply for an MBA in Northeastern’s D’Amore-McKim School of Business, if they so choose. Upon meeting admission requirements for the Business School, up to four of the graduate engineering business-skill courses shown above will be applied toward the MBA degree. Graduates may choose to continue on directly for the MBA or return later to do so.
Edward G. Galante graduated from Northeastern University in 1973, receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering. He joined his co-op employer, ExxonMobil, upon the completion of his course work and remained with the company for 34 years. He retired in 2006. While at ExxonMobil, Ed held a variety of positions in domestic and international business, ultimately rising to the position of Senior Vice President and member of the company's four-person Management Committee. His principal responsibilities in this role included the worldwide Downstream business: Refining & Supply, Fuels Marketing, Lubricants & Specialties, and Research & Engineering. Ed oversaw 45 refineries worldwide, marketing, and sales activities in nearly 200 countries and territories, and a research budget of several hundred million dollars. He was also responsible for corporate staff functions including Public Affairs and Environmental, Health, and Safety activities.
Why consider becoming a Galante Engineering Business Fellow?
In keeping with Mr. Galante’s vision to equip Engineering professionals with a core of business skills, Galante Engineering Business Certificate holders will have benefited from a strong business-based engineering curriculum, a series of programmatic enrichment and professional development events each semester, the camaraderie of a connected cohort, and the quality of the D’Amore-McKim MBA program if they choose that route. In addition, the standard path through the Galante BS/MS/MBA can leverage the program architecture to save up to a year’s worth of time and tuition. Please feel free to review the application through the link in the blue box to the upper right on this page.
Specific questions may be directed to the Program Director, Dr. Kris Jaeger-Helton at email@example.com.
Dr. Kris Jaeger-Helton
Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering